Custodial parent moving out of state

As our world shrinks — and jobs become increasingly mobile — it is more and more common to see a primary, custodial parent moving out of state. Or often, he or she is staying in state but relocating to another school district.

If you’re not the primary parent, you’ve probably got questions. Is this legal? Can a custodial parent move out of state? In a word, yes. However, there are laws that govern the proper way to make a move.

If you have a complicated parenting situation, it's all the more important to learn your rights and act quickly to remain an active part of your child's life. For example, you may be an unmarried parent. In your case, we can quickly get you up to speed on Washington's custody laws for unmarried parents and help you pursue your parental rights.